Welcome to Year 2's class page.
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome your child into Year 2, which is another important year on their learning journey through St. Mary’s. We are really looking forward to working with your children during the year ahead and we have many exciting learning experiences planned for them. Miss Smith will be working on a daily basis in Year 2 supporting the children with all aspects of learning, alongside Miss Moore in the mornings and Mrs Killoran in the afternoon. We welcome Miss Kelly who will also be supporting in Year 2.
- Homework: As you are aware, we no longer send written homework but children continue to have homework in the form of the basic skills, of reading, learning spellings and practising maths facts. Please look at the Student Zone on our website for excellent resources to support the children in their learning. Espresso and Top Marks have a wide range of games and activities within their Key Stage 1 sections.
- Reading books should be returned on a Monday and will usually be sent home that day. The children will choose their own books appropriate for their reading ability. Please sign/comment that you have heard your child read the books or if they need to keep one of the books for another week.
- Spellings will also be sent on a Monday. Your support in helping your child to learn the spellings that are sent home is greatly appreciated. In the Year 1 and 2 Curriculum there is such a massive range of spellings that the children need to secure and your support in helping your child can’t be overstated. In the first few weeks we will send a set of maths facts for the term ahead that we want the children to try to learn by heart. This will primarily consist of doubling patterns, number bonds and times tables.
- Please could you ensure that your child has a PE kit in school for the week so that they do not miss any opportunities for PE. At times we have to be flexible due to the British weather/hall use. Our routine PE days are Thursday and Friday.
- On a further practical note please put your child’s name on all main items of uniform, especially jumpers and items of PE clothing.
We encourage the children to have a water bottle in school, please could you ensure that it has a sports cap and has their name clearly labelled. We encourage the children to take their bottles home at the end of the school day and to return them each morning filled for the day.
Our plans for Educational Visits/Educational Enhancement in Year 2
- Summer term - Our main trip is to St Ann’s as part of our seaside topic.
Details of another visit to follow.
Miss Moore and Mrs Killoran