Welcome to Year 2's class page.
This half-term we have lots of exciting times ahead in Year 2.
Our main topic is The Great Fire of London and the children will do a range of English and Art activities linked to this exciting topic. We will continue to have daily Phonics/Spelling, English, Guided Reading and Maths sessions to develop our basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills.
We will of course also be working on our Christmas Play, 'Miracle in Town' which we are very excited about. Please look out for the words that your child will need to learn. As always thank you in advance for your co-operation in helping your child to learn their words for the play.
- Homework: As you are aware, we no longer send written homework, but children continue to have homework in the form of the basic skills of reading, learning spellings and practising maths facts. Please look at the Learning Zone on our website for excellent resources to support the children in their learning. Espresso and Top Marks have a wide range of games and activities within their Key Stage 1 sections. Also, Spelling Frame helps the children with the wide range of spelling rules for Year 2.
- Reading books should be returned on a Monday and will usually be sent home that day. The children will choose their own books appropriate for their reading ability. Please sign/comment that you have heard your child read the books or if they need to keep one of the books for another week.
- Spellings will also be sent on a Monday. Your support in helping your child to learn the spellings that are sent home is greatly appreciated. In the Year 1 and 2 Curriculum we have a wide range of spellings to cover and your support in helping your child, can’t be overstated. Your child also needs to develop arithmetic skills including doubling patterns, number bonds to 20 and quick recall of the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
- Please could you ensure that your child has a PE kit in school for the week so that they do not miss any opportunities for PE. Could we ask that they have their winter kit for this half-term.
- On a further practical note please put your child’s name on all main items of uniform, especially jumpers and items of PE clothing.
We greatly encourage the children to have a water bottle in school, please could you ensure that it has a sports cap and has their name clearly labelled. We encourage the children to take their bottles home at the end of the school day and to return them each morning filled for the day.
Our plans for Educational Visits/Educational Enhancement in Year 2
- Summer term - Our main trip is to St Ann’s as part of our seaside topic.
Details of another visit to follow.
Miss Moore and Mrs Killoran