Welcome to St Mary's Nursery
If you are enquiring about a Nursery place, please contact the school office for a form. The quicker you apply, the quicker you get to join in with the fun!
We have had many enquiries from parents regarding the new 30 hours entitlement which has recently been enforced from this September (2017). We thought it would be useful to provide the latest information we have so that parents are aware of the criteria they must meet to be eligible and also how they might apply for a funded 30-hour place. Please click here for more information.
Welcome back to all our returning children and parents, and a very warm and happy welcome to all our new additions. The children are all very excited to continue having fun and learning with their brand new friends!
In Nursery we have Mr Jenkins, Mrs McCormick (formally Miss Newman from last year), Mrs Garrett, and our class mascot Buster Bear!
To keep up to date on what is going on in Nursery and around the rest of the school, please go to our official school Facebook page for all the latest pictures and breaking news!
Our topic for our first spring term is ‘Traditional Tales’, where we will be reading and playing around with some of the best traditional fairy tales! We will be combining the use of Drama, Music and Art to help develop our creative skills around our favourite stories! Here is our MTP
- Uniform - We do ask all children to wear a school uniform. A white polo shirt with either grey pants or grey skirt should be worn
- Spare Clothes - All children should have a bag in school with spare clothes, accidents do happen. Should your child go home wearing a spare uniform borrowed from school, please bring it back in the next day
- Water Bottle – Children should bring a water bottle into school with their name clearly labelled on it, for when they get thirsty. We do ask parents to make sure that the bottle contains only water
- Names - Please make sure all children have their names in all items of their uniform. It avoids tears when things go missing and really helps staff
- Book Bag - If your child has a school book bag, they can bring home a book from our library to share at home
- Weather Attire - All children need a pair of wellies and a raincoat (with their names on), with the fantastic English weather, we can expect lots of rain
- P.E – Our P.E day is Tuesday. Nursery do not require a P.E kit
Things to do at Home (Spring 1)
- Phonics - To build up our listening skills, draw your child’s attention to the initial sounds of words. For example, “what does ‘c-u-p’’ begin with? It begins with a ‘c’”
- Reading - Read with your child as much as possible and encourage them to discuss their favourite characters and favourite book(s)
- Maths – Count with your child as much as possible. This can be anything at all. Our favourite examples include
counting how people are in the room with our ‘counting fingers’
- Topic - Discuss with your child what story they have been focusing on each week. Encourage your child to discuss their favourite characters and moments from the story, and see if they can retell it to you.
If there are any problems or queries, please do not hesitate to come and see me or one of the team – our door is always open for a chat, perhaps even accompanied with a biscuit! Here at St Mary’s we believe communication between home and school is an essential factor for a wonderful learning experience.
We hope that you have fun listening to the children telling you all about the fun we have in Nursery.
Mr Jenkins and Team
Click here for a copy of our Prospectus.