We would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your families a happy and healthy 2019.
This half-term we have many exciting things to look forward to. Our main topic will be History driven as we look at significant figures from British History, including Florence Nightingale and L.S. Lowry as a famous local artist. In Science we will be looking at Materials and their uses and in RE our theme is Local Church and Community.
In English we will continue to work hard at school and at home to secure spellings of the common exception words for Year 1 and Year 2 and to use them correctly within independent writing. We will also work on other spelling patterns for Year 1 and Year 2. We will continue to work on simple sentence structures, punctuation and the identification of nouns, verbs and adjectives within sentences. We will enjoy some lovely stories about Emperor Penguins and also learn facts about them so that we can produce fact files or a non-chronological report. We will also do some non-fiction writing linked to our figures from history. When reading, we will continue to work on fluency and building comprehension skills so that the children can answer questions about what they have read.
In Maths we will continue to work on developing skills and confidence in the four operations of number; addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The children will be provided with opportunities to apply these skills and further develop their reasoning and understanding. We are very excited about our Rock Star Times Tables launch which will provide a fun way to help the children to develop quick recall of the 10, 2 and 5 times tables and related division facts. The children will also work on elements of measure including capacity, length and temperature. They will learn to read scales including those on measuring jugs and thermometers, as well as units of time.
- Homework: As you are aware, we no longer send written homework, but children continue to have homework in the form of the basic skills of reading, learning spellings and practising maths facts. Please look at the Learning Zone on our website for excellent resources to support the children in their learning. Espresso, Rock Stars Times tables and Top Marks have a wide range of games and activities within their Key Stage 1 sections. Also, Spelling Frame helps the children with the wide range of spelling rules for Year 2.
- Reading books should be returned on a Monday and will usually be sent home that day. The children will choose their own books appropriate for their reading ability. Please sign/comment that you have heard your child read the books or if they need to keep one of the books for another week.
- Spellings will also be sent on a Monday. Your support in helping your child to learn the spellings that are sent home is greatly appreciated. In the Year 1 and 2 Curriculum we have a wide range of spellings to cover and your support in helping your child, can’t be overstated. Your child also needs to develop arithmetic skills including doubling patterns, number bonds to 20 and quick recall of the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
- Please could you ensure that your child has a PE kit in school for the week so that they do not miss any opportunities for PE. Could we ask that they have their winter kit for this half-term.
- On a further practical note please put your child’s name on all main items of uniform, especially jumpers and items of PE clothing.
We greatly encourage the children to have a water bottle in school, please could you ensure that it has a sports cap and has their name clearly labelled. We encourage the children to take their bottles home at the end of the school day and to return them each morning filled for the day.
Our plans for Educational Visits/Educational Enhancement in Year 2
- Summer term - Our main trip is to St Ann’s as part of our seaside topic.
Details of another visit to follow.
Miss Moore and Mrs Killoran