We would like to take this opportunity to welcome your child into Year 2, which is another important year on their learning journey through St. Mary’s. We are really looking forward to working with your children in the year ahead and we have many exciting learning experiences planned for them. Mrs Hollick will be working on a daily basis in Year 2 supporting the children with all aspects of learning, alongside Miss Moore and Mrs Killoran. This year Mrs Killoran will be teaching one full day and three afternoons and Miss Moore will be teaching the remaining sessions.
This term the children will cover a range of story books by significant authors as part of their English work and they will be encouraged to write about the key events and characters in stories and to re-tell stories in their own words. They will also be encouraged to write about their own experiences. As part of their grammar and punctuation work, the children will learn to build and accurately punctuate different types of sentences and to understand what a noun, verb and adjective is and identify such within sentences. We will continue daily spellings and grammar sessions and the children will bring home weekly spellings on a Monday, which they will be working on within that week. They will then have a spelling quiz each Friday based on these spellings. Please ensure that the homework sheet is returned to show that your child has practised the spellings before the Friday quiz.
In Maths the focus will be on number recognition, recognising the value of digits within a two digit number and using this knowledge of place value to solve addition and subtraction calculations. We will also be practising times tables facts for the 10s, 2s and 5 times tables and we will continue to work on Rockstars Times Tables which was a great success with the Year 2 children last year and we encourage your support for the children using TT Rockstars at home. The children will also work on doubling facts and number bonds.
In History we will be focusing on a comparison between Queen Victoria and our current monarch Queen Elizabeth II. In Geography, the children will study the United Kingdom using maps and looking at changes in the weather. In Science the children will be learning all about habitats. They will learn how different habitats provide the basic needs for different kinds of animals and plants. The children will also start the Materials topic, learning about what properties materials possess.
In RE the children will be learning about new beginnings and the story of creation. Later they will also learn about baptism signs and symbols and will be learning about Advent by preparing for our Nativity play.
Within our music lessons we will be singing songs in the woods and will accompany them with percussion instruments, keeping a steady beat. We will be using word processing in computing. In Art we will be studying the artist Van Gogh and painting some of his pictures. In Design and Technology we will be using our Van Gogh ideas to plan, make and evaluate a calendar.
In P.E. we will be doing outdoor games on a Monday and Anna’s Dance on Wednesday.
Our plans for Educational Visits/Educational Enhancement in Year 2
- Spring – The Titanic Museum in Liverpool - to bring to life our History topic of ‘The Titanic’.
- Summer 2 – A visit to the National Football Museum to coincide with the European Championships and to link to both our Local Area topic and our Summer Geography topic, ‘The Countries of the World’, which falls at the same time as the Football European Championships.
A few bits to remember for the year ahead:
- Homework: Homework is in the form of the basic skills of reading, practising spellings and practising maths facts using Rockstars TT.
- Reading books should be returned on a Monday and will usually be sent home that day. The children will choose their own reading books and they will pick two books each Monday from a box that mirrors the level of books that they will read in class as part of guided reading. Please sign/comment that you have heard your child read the books over the week. Listening to your child read and asking them questions about their books is a great support to their learning.
- Spellings will also be sent on a Monday and the children will practise these spelling patterns in class throughout that week. Your support in helping your child to learn the spellings that are sent home is greatly appreciated. Within the curriculum for Year 1 and 2 the range of spellings that the children need to secure is vast and your support in helping your child can’t be overstated. Spellings may consist of different spelling patterns/rules alongside key words from the common exception words for Year 1 and 2.
- Rockstar TT – children will be allocated specific tables to practise. The program works on tablets, computers/laptops and mobiles via the website.
- Please could you ensure that your child has a PE kit in school for the week so that they do not miss any opportunities for PE. At times we have to be flexible due to the British weather/hall use. Our routine PE days are Monday (outdoor this half-term) and Anna’s Dance on a Wednesday (indoor kit).
- On a further practical note please put your child’s name on all main items of uniform, especially jumpers and items of PE clothing.
- We encourage the children to have a water bottle in school, please could you ensure that it has a sports cap and has their name clearly labelled. It is important that children take their bottles home at the end of the school day and return them each morning filled for the day.